Friday, July 11, 2014

Train Hard, Rest Hard.

DISCLAIMER: Absolutely everything I know about training and workouts came from my dad and personal coach, Scott Lieber. So this is a shoutout to you, Pops. 

Keeping myself on a consistent training schedule is one thing that keeps me happy (if it's been too long since my last good endorphin release...watch out). I am constantly challenging and competing with myself to improve...which makes for some tough workouts. But today...

HAPPY RACE EVE!

Tomorrow I will be running a 5k in my community...and really hoping for a PR. The day before a race can only mean one thing.

Recovery.

A recovery workout is a way of telling yourself, "You've done well. Take it easy today". I have worked hard these past two weeks, but there is nothing more important than taking this day to recover before my race. Tomorrow when the starting gun is fired, my body and mind will be fresh and ready to compete. 

Recovery is a principle that can not be stressed enough! Not only in running, but whatever you are training for. Don't get me wrong, those killer hill, interval, or endurance runs are great. So great. But if not spaced out correctly, they result in overtraining and injury. So take it from me. Recover, gosh dang it! If I haven't convinced you yet, take a look at my run today to see how laid back and enjoyable recovery workouts can be...


I ran to one of my favorite easy run destinations. This cute little trail is only a block from my house. I kept the pace nice and easy, one that I could comfortably carry a conversation with. I ended up running just over 2 miles today.

Do you like my headband? I sell these RACERwraps for just $5! Check out the tab at the top of the blog :)

Post-recovery workout, I always feel better emotionally and physically, but not exhausted! I always leave myself wanting more. 

Stretching. Another essential principle to running...but that's for another post :)

Even though it is recovery, I still don't feel right about stopping my runs for pictures...so enjoy these post-run stretching selfies :) 

Meet three of my closest friends. Garmin, and the Experia twins.

Recovery means take it easy, but still be smart. Even on the easiest of runs I wear high quality socks and my Garmin watch. 

It's smart to NEVER slack in the socks department, to prevent blisters or other weird issues you may encounter. My favorites are Experia (pictured here), and Nike Dry-Fit (only the ones with the extra supported heel).

As for my watch, I always have it to document my progress! Although I wasn't competing for time or distance today, I can still track improvement. For example, my recovery runs a year ago had a significantly slower pace than my recovery runs now. You don't need the latest and greatest GPS watch to do this (although, it is every helpful)...even wearing a watch that simply tells time and keeping track that way has its benefits.

Now that you've gotten a glimpse into my thoughts on recovery, just remember one more thing...

TRAIN HARD.
but then...
REST HARD.

Wishing You Rest and Recovery,
HKL


No comments:

Post a Comment